Friday, August 31, 2012

Nuts! - Should it be this easy?

As promised I'm going to be starting a campaign that feature larger scale battles to go alongside my Red Sand games. I've decided to play Nuts!, which I have bought specially, and hopefully it will provide us with some tense and entertaining situations (WW2 normally manages to achieve this so fingers crossed). The first few games will be me playing through the introductory scenarios to make sure I'm comfortable with the rules before I dive into starting a campaign and as such I won't be adding my usual story like narrative along side the report, but don't worry if you enjoy these because they will be making a return when I start properly and I'll still be doing them in my Red Sands battles.

 With that said let's get started and see how many bullets the German army decides to throw at me today.

In this report I am in command of the remnants of a paratrooper squad which is approaching an enemy occupied house, I count as having already moved 2" towards the edge of the forest and the first thing that will happen is the two visible Germans will take an In Sight test to see how they react to spotting me. This is only an introduction to the basic rules regarding infantry so many of the features of this game won't be making an appearance which suits me fine as this is literally my first experience of Nuts (.....don't make up your own jokes).

How things stand at deployment.
-Turn 1 Allies-

The Germans noticed my men sneaking forwards and quickly fumbled to rush off two snap shots, luckily for me they both missed by a considerable margin. My men were determined not to be out done and returned fire doing considerably better than their ambushers, 1 hit was scored on the first and a whopping 3 on the second which included 2 pitiful shots from the rookie of my team (beginners luck I feel). A well aimed shot to the head from my NCO's submachine gun downs one of then and moments later the other joins him on the dirt severely wounded and out of the fight. One of the special instructions for this scenario is that when the bullets start flying I have to roll to see where the rest of the German squad are hiding, it turns out they're all on their way back from the woods on the left side of the map.


I turn my attension to the troops that have just been revealed, because my forces are active I don't take an In Sight test, instead I can use my active fire to attack them and maybe whittle them down before they can act. My NCO scores a hit on their squad leader severly wounding him and putting him out of the fight, the spray of bullets also clips a rifleman hitting a vital organ and killing him outright. That just leaves the machine gunner alive, the enemy havn't even managed to have a turn yet and they've nearly been completly wiped out, beginners luck doesn't even come close to what this is. My rookie rifleman manages to score a hit on the gunner knocking him to the ground, I roll to see how it effects him and it turns out he's been killed outright too, in a single turn the battle is over yet we've still had gunfire going both ways so it wasn't a complete massacre (just very close to one).

....Umm...that went well...
A very short battle and I have to be honest I don't think I've ever been so lucky with rolls before in my life, when I needed a high roll I got one and vice versa, it was insane. Anyway I know I enjoyed playing this fight even though it only really lasted half a turn but it was only meant to be an introduction anyway, I'll defiantly be finishing these 'tutorial' missions before I start properly but if the next one turns out as short as this I'll group a couple of them together to make it a bit more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment